A year ago today, we released By Surprise’s Mountain Smashers. It’s one of our favorite records we’ve put out and I don’t expect that to change. To celebrate, we’re putting it on sale and announcing a new EP from the band! Now’s the perfect time to pick up a copy if you never got around to it a year ago. Head on over to the store and check it out. It’s now just SIX BUCKS. That’s like, 50% off, basically.
If you’re still on the fence, why not appeal to what highly regarded, well-esteemed critics far and wide have had to say about Mountain Smashers:
I have been digging this record! Familiarly uncomfortable yet definitely trekking into new musical realms. If you can’t get into the opening guitar riff of ‘Books By Thoreau,’ something is wrong with you.
- Travis Shettel, TS & The Past haunts, Piebald
Greg Horbal strongly recommended this record to me but dude jams Bomb The Music Industry and Sublime all the time so I immediately dismissed it. I was a fool. It took a few listens to really resonate with me but next thing I know, I’m having day-time outdoor sex in a swimming pool with the words “artichokes with lettuce, corn on the cob with roses” repeated over and over the stereo like a wild aquatic sex mantra. I have no clue what that line is supposed to mean but “Mountain Smashers” slays and you are a fool for thinking otherwise. Pose in hell.
-Derrick Shanholtzer, The World Is A Beautful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid to Die. SOFX, One Hundred Year Ocean
Such a fun record, calling heavily on all of my favorite 90′s emo / indie influences. however, they give the style such a great facelift and breathe new life into it instead of just becoming another imitator. this record was a sleeper. don’t sleep on it.
-Evan Weiss, Into It. Over It.
So, all that said, we’ve been talking about the details of this all for a bit now and, more recently, how and when we’d announce it. When last night I missed a call from Rob Wilcox and awoke to a voicemail that really just hammers all the main points home for me. So, without further adieu, the one. The only. Intoxicated Rob Wilcox (with southern twang? Is that even what that is? What IS that?):
If you can’t make any of that out (understandable), here’s the main points:
By Surprise will be entering the studio in late May/Early June to record their next 7” with Dave Downham (Mountain Smashers) at Familyre Studios (mewithoutYou, Sufjan Stevens, Danielson). We’ll have more info soon!
Lastly, don’t forget to catch the band playing with the likes of Into It. Over It. / A Great Big Pile of Leaves / The World Is A Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer AFraid to Die / Young Statues / Heartwell / Everyone Everywhere! Info / tickets are here.
Happy Mountain Smashers anniversary, everyone!
- awkwardboxes likes this
- velvet-waltz reblogged this from topshelfrecords
- velvet-waltz likes this
- how-nothing-feels likes this
- indiemosh reblogged this from topshelfrecords
- casual-friday reblogged this from topshelfrecords
- lewisandhisblog said: god damn it i love this record so hard.
- lewisandhisblog likes this
- iwishiwasaginger reblogged this from topshelfrecords
- adullandwitlessboy reblogged this from heyrobwilcox
- thejimmymullen likes this
- topshelfrecords likes this
- kaitydavie reblogged this from topshelfrecords and added:
- lukeburgess reblogged this from topshelfrecords
- heyrobwilcox reblogged this from topshelfrecords
- heyrobwilcox likes this
- ratsonwires likes this
- ancientmystery reblogged this from topshelfrecords and added:
- whalebiology likes this
- topshelfrecords posted this